Monday, December 15, 2014

Paranormal Series: The Hallow by Jessica Verday

Paranormal Series: A series of literature reviews of Young Adult Paranormal Romances. 



Poor Abbey has just lost her best friend, Kristen. Prepare to hear about it for 513 pages. Abbey lives in Sleepy Hollow; yes, THAT Sleepy Hollow from the Washington Irving book. She enjoys making perfume, drinking a tad too much hot chocolate for a normal girl, and visiting graves to talk to dead people, such as her friend Kristen. It was at one of these daily trips to the cemetery (you know, like normal teenage girls do) that Abbey meets Caspian. Caspian has intensely green eyes and a dark streak among his strikingly blonde hair. She instantly falls for him. But what could he be hiding...?




This book is pretty terrible among the YA PR world. Jessica Verday has a great setting for a spooky ghost romance and instead spends 480 pages telling us that Abbey goes to school and back home.

There is just way too much build-up, it is utterly boring. In fact, you do not even find out what Caspian is until the epilogue. There is no antagonist at all. The book ends with her going to live with her aunt because she feels crazy, leaving Caspian behind. Is she the only one that can see him? Why is he here? Why do we even care?

Another issue is the guy. I like my PR's like I like my HBO shows: full of drama. The guy needs to defy the norm for teenage boys because they are immortal badasses that are obsessed with this one, plain, girl and teeters on that line from protective to abusive in their love. That is what I like in my PR men.

But Caspian seems childish and boring. He doesn't want to protect her and doesn't do the whole "I can't stay away from you" thing.

To leave on a good note: it was unique to see a more realistic reaction to the events. "This guy that I have been secretly been seeing kinda treated me like trash then told me he died last year" --moves to live with aunt because obviously snapped from the pressure.


My score:

No comments:

Post a Comment